[gamin] Gamin Question: reliability, BSD OS, Python bindings

Hello guys

I did just register at this mailing list.
Currently Im using Gamin successfully on an DFBSD (FBSD4.x fork)
operating system.
Beside's the website
http://people.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/overview.html tells that Gamin
only works on Linux - I guess that information is pretty outdated.

The python bindings are also very nice, is there still active
development going on there?
How would you guys judge the reliable of Gamin?
For now I let it monitor hundreds of IMAP directories, <1000 I'd say
approx. maybe ~500 dirs.

As I've noticed Gamin doesnt do anything recursive, one has to register
each directory for monitoring or am I wrong?
I dont know much about FAM except that it exists... never used it
before.

thanks to all for reading.
regards,
Georg