[gamin] "end from FAM server connection" when copying large file

Hi,

I am running Gamin 0.1.9 on Linux kernel 2.6.5, so it is using denotify by
default. My intent is to get informed once a file has been written
completely into a directory; so what I actually need is a "close-write"
event which is not available from dnotify. I therefore use "change" events
and then check whether the file has alredy been closed. (I know that
inotify is much better here but unfortunately I am forced to use that
older kernel for the time being.)

During robustness testing I copied a 2 MB file into the directory
monitored by Gamin. This triggers a flood of "change" events and in about
25% of cases ends in an "end from FAM server connection" message and my
client gives up.

The number of events I receive varies; I have not checked yet whether that
is because the gamin server sends a different number or whether they get
lost when transmitted to the client (which should not be the case of
couse).

For the moment I (reluctantly) revert back to polling; that works,
presumably because the number and frequency of events if much lower.

Anyone an idea on that? Perhaps I have made a mistake in my test setup...

Regards ... Christian

Zeppelin Baumaschinen GmbH
Handelsregister - Commercial register: AG München HRB 107767
Sitz - Domicile: D-85748 Garching b. München

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats - Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Ernst Susanek
Geschäftsführer - Board of Management:
Michael Heidemann (Vorsitzender - Chairman), Christian Dummler