Re: [gamin] Gamin problems with smb share

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:54:20AM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> I am using Gamin 0.1.7 compiled from source, with --disable-inotify (some kind
> of Mandriva header problems.)
>

> When I use Konqeror file manager to browse to a folder mounted over smbfs that
> contains several thousand files, gamin causes a large amount of network traffic
> (over 400 kb/s) and gam_server chews up about 10% CPU.  This network and cpu
> utilization remains constant until Konqueror is closed.
>
> I tried to add the following to my ~/.gamrc file:

  it's ~/.gaminrc

> fsset smbfs none  60
>
> My understanding was that this should prevent gamin from even trying to monitor
> my smb mount, however, it has had no noticeable effect.
>
> Any enlightenment or patches would be great appreciated.

  You can debug what's going on by following the instructions there:
    http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/debug.html#Debugging1

if you start Konqueror from the shell with the environment variable
set up, you may get traces explaining why the commands are not taken
into account. But don't send a huge log, that won't help.

Daniel