[gamin] python binding question

I have an app that uses python-fam (an abandoned set of python
bindings to the sgi fam library) to coherently cache files. I have
started looking at moving to gamin, and have run into a problem. In
the python-fam package, FamEvents have three useful parts: filename
(similar to the callback path), code2str (which converts the action to
a string), and a handle ID (which describes the context of the
event). I find myself frequently monitoring directory hierarchies,
which requires the use of the handle ID to properly route the
event. Is there an undocumented analogue to the handle ID in gamin's
native bindings? Am I approaching this from the wrong angle? While I
support I could define a different callback function to call from each
directory (thus removing the need for a handle ID), this approach
strikes me as being a fairly terrible hack...
thanks for any suggestions...
 -nld