Re: [gamin] inotify kernel panic

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 01:04, Stephen Anderson wrote:
> Ran another test to reduce the variables.  Compiled a new vanilla 2.6.8.1
> kernel with conservative optimization flags.  Booted into said kernel and
> rebult gamin with same flags.  Ran through testgam procedure and panic'd
> at same place.
>
> glib  1.2.10
> glibc 2.3.3
> gcc   3.4.2

I need to see the trace, I have looked at the code path starting from
the timer code, and I can't find any place that could cause a NULL
pointer dereference on a UP system. On an SMP system, the way the timer
was disabled it could have potentially caused a NULL pointer
dereference. But without seeing the stack trace that involves inotify I
can't fix this bug.

Rob, I am wondering if del_timer_sync should actually be declared when
the kernel is compiled with preempt ? Is it possible for the kernel to
get preempted while executing a timer callback?

John