[gamin] Re: [patch] make dnotify compile-time configurable

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:44:39 -0400 Robert Love wrote:

| On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 08:31 -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
|
| > I'd rather see inotify additions and dnotify config options kept
| > separate.  They may serve a similar purpose, but inotify doesn't
| > replace the dnotify API.  If the latter were true, combining
| > them would make sense IMO.
|
| I'm not really following.
|
| Whether or not dnotify is a configuration option is separate, and could
| go into the kernel either way.

Sorry, that's about all that I was trying to say.  If patches A & B
are logically separate, don't combine them.  Nothing new there.

| But what matters if our inotify patch also carries the change?  People
| with inotify definitely DO want this patch, because they don't need
| dnotify.  Not much uses dnotify--it is a pain to use--and inotify
| replaces its functionality.

Well, the patch shouldn't remove dnotify unconditionally, or not
until we have that elusive stable kernel series that people keep
mentioning elsewhere.

| It is also a practical move: the diffs conflict.

I see.

--
~Randy
MOTD:  Always include version info.