Re: List of Debian games & scripts 1/2

On 23/07/16 20:53, Megh Parikh wrote:
Personally, I would like to know which of all these games can use or uses a gamepad. Is this something
gnome-games is or may be working on?

I am working on a project to add gamepad support to gnome-games. By
gnome-games I mean the emulator-cum-catalogue application and not the
package of bundled GNOME games. For this I had also created a library
(it is currently not up-to-date with the main code in GNOME Games),
libgamepad - https://github.com/meghprkh/libgamepad . This library is
written in Vala and hence should be compatible with GLib/GObject
-based games/applications. But as of now this is only compatible with
Vala programs since I have not been able to properly configured GIR
support. Since sometime I have been a little busy and hence unable to
improve this library but I will do it soon.

Thanks for replying. Most video game consoles and console emulators are designed to use gamepads, so I can understand how launching an emulator from the catalogue, using a gamepad might work.

Though, as I'm sure you are aware. It becomes problematic when launching a native game which doesn't use a gamepad, from a GUI which does. The user either has to switch to using the keyboard/mouse, use something like antimicro, or just not play the game in the first place if using a gamepad.

That's why I am seeking a list of native games that can be launched from a gamepad GUI, and then can be actually played using a gamepad, in order to help the user's experience whilst selecting and playing games when using one.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find this information using "apt-cache show" on Debian, in my script.

I also don't think I could realistically get this information on my own by testing each game, but perhaps if there were enough people testing and collating the information on whether the game can use a gamepad or not, some progress could be made on this front.

Josh

I had also made a branch of GNOME Nibbles that works with gamepad
support based on an older version of libgamepad
https://github.com/meghprkh/gnome-nibbles/tree/dirty/feature/gamepad

Also you might be interested in antimicro
https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro , while I have not tried it, it
states that it can be used to add gamepad support to games which dont
support it