3.14 status update

Hi all,

Here's a quick review of our major accomplishments since 3.12, and my
remaining goals for 3.14.

Mostly complete:

* Redesigned GNOME Mines. Simply awesome, thanks to Robert Roth and
Allan Day.

* Redesigned GNOME Sudoku, to debut in 3.13.3. Thanks Parin (and Allan)!

* New AI for Four-in-a-row, also to debut in 3.13.3. Thanks Nikhar! It
needs some nonfunctional code cleanups, but also user feedback since I'm
sure the three difficulty levels could use some tweaking. If you have a
few minutes, play a couple quick games of connect four and let us know
how it feels.

* New game: GNOME Hitori, by Philip Withnall. It's been around for a
while, but I'm updating the UI and Philip is switching to the GNOME
release cycle. A few more things on my to-do list for this game, but
it's nearly ready. We need to get it into the gnome-apps moduleset and
ask distros to include it in their gnome-games or gnome-extra package
groups.

Short-term projects:

* libgames-scores. Nikhar will be working on this as the second half of
his GSoC project (we decided to defer the Four-in-a-row Vala port). The
goal is to eliminate code duplication among the games, display only the
top 10 scores, and associate each score with a player name, as in the
olden days. There's also a nicer design for the scores dialog from
Allan. Additional goals: to seamlessly import scores from all 3.12
games, and to provide an API for games to determine whether to suggest a
player should change the difficulty level if he's winning or losing a
lot.

* GNOME Nibbles: I want to remove the End Game menu item, and bring New
Game into the window since that is too important to be hidden in the app
menu. Also, there is a nasty bug that causes your worm to die on an
invisible worm. We really need to fix this; I wind up dying to it every
time I play.

We're on track to finally meet our goal of no menu bars, toolbars, or
status bars. The remaining games are:

* GNOME Nibbles: still has a status bar; an especially nasty status bar
as it's really hard to distinguish between lives and scores.
(Lower-priority: will take some work to remove.)

* GNOME Klotski: toolbar -> header bar. Done, just needs polish.

* GNOME Robots: Remove toolbar, menu bar, and status bar. I'm working on
this, it's about half done.

This is a fairly short list of goals, so I think we can accomplish all
(or almost all) of it in the next two months before feature freeze. The
only game that really needs additional assistance right now is Nibbles.
If anyone has time to work on that (Bryan?), it would be awesome.

Have a great weekend,

Michael