Re: Modernization update and WoG feature

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
World of GNOME picked up on our games modernization effort [1] so we
have some nice publicity there. (Never mind that they seem to think it's
new.)

Anyway, some updates:

* 11/15 games have an application menu, but none have been added since
3.10. Nibbles, Four-in-a-Row, and Robots still need ported to
GtkApplication. (Bryan has already started work on Nibbles.) Sudoku is
done in the Vala port.

* 9/15 games are using GtkHeaderBar, from zero in 3.10. (The wogue
screenshots only show seven games complete because Mario did
Quadrapassel and Tali just yesterday.) Klotski is easy pickings, so we I
expect at least 10/15 for 3.12. The rest of the games will require a bit
more work.

There have also been a lot of GTK-side improvements to header bars in
3.12 to make them not suck outside of GNOME [2] like they did in 3.10,
so we luckily won't be needing any fallback code for Unity and other
desktops.

* Most of the games using header bars have had some degree of UI
redesign. Mines and Tetravex have seen the most significant changes.
Robert did some good work on Iagno, but it's not ready for master quite
yet. (I'm hoping to get to that soon.) Chess lost the toolbar that I
added for 3.10 and grew a gear menu instead.

* Our biggest deficiency right now is new game screens.

* Vala ports of Five or More and Sudoku are stalled. Sudoku is
reasonably complete, but needs a lot of polish.

I should really finish the vala port of Five or More soon. It
basically stalled back then because I was planning to do the game view
as a clutter scene. But then things changed and clutter did not seem
like the obvious choice anymore.