Re: Getting error while compiling building the source of gnome-chess from git repo

On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 19:37 +0530, Vignesh Prabhu wrote:
  VALAC    gnome_chess_vala.stamp
chess-view-2d.vala:146.35-146.49: error: invocation of void method not
allowed as expression
            Cairo.Matrix matrix = c.get_matrix ();
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
make[1]: *** [gnome_chess_vala.stamp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/work/gnome-chess/gnome-chess/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1"

Please let me know how can I fix it.

As a workaround, you can replace that line with:

Cairo.Matrix matrix;
c.get_matrix (out matrix);

The problem is that we require valac 0.22, but you are using an older
version. Autotools ought to be smart enough to prevent you from
compiling the Vala code with an insufficient version of valac, and in
fact if you were building from a tarball it would have detected that and
fallen back to compiling the pre-generated C code we ship instead, but I
guess the fallback when there is no pre-generated C is to attempt to
compile the Vala code anyway, even though it knows it won't work... oh
well.

Cheers,

Michael