Re: Problem with scores - Ubuntu 12.10

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 08:54 +0000, Andrew McLean wrote:
> I have Ubuntu Linux 12.10 recently installed. When I complete a game
> (e.g. Mahjongg/Difficult) it displays
> an empty scores list, and says "Your score didn't make the top ten.".
> This seems to be a long-standing
> problem, but I haven't seen a solution anywhere.
> Does anyone know what can cause this, and how to fix it ?
>
> If I do 'ls -l /var/games' I see this for the scores file:
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 root games 0 Oct 17 16.00 /var/games/mahjongg-difficult.scores
>
> AM

Brewster replies:

The problem with Gnome Game scores is more pervasive than that.
Throughout the solitaire pack, the software frequently makes up scores
out of thin air to post to both the "BEST" and "WORST" times categories
on the game stats. I have many examples of games where it is virtually
impossible to complete a given one in under two minutes, but randomly,
the score code throws up a "BEST" time of 1:16, or 1:23, or so. It has
the same habit on "WORST" times, in the other direction. This has been a
recurrent problem through several generations of Ubuntu, currently
running 12.04 on a 4Core Athlon.

Brewster
Embrace a progressively tolerant multicultural community of sustainable
social-justice-centered harmonically sharing low-carbon diversity.
 W. Brewster Gillett            bg fdi us            Portland, OR  USA
 Simply because you don't like to hear it, that doesn't make it untrue.