Build Environment

I've been trying to get a build environment working for the Gnome Games project using Ubuntu 10.04 in VMWare (Fusion on a OSX host and Workstation 7 on a Win7 host) with no success. I can get the whole project to build without errors but whenever I run most of the games (specifically interested in gnibbles) I get a lot of Clutter errors and the game graphics remain as a black screen. Additionally, I have been unable to find anything specific in regards to building up a working build environment for the project and have just about tried everything I can think of to resolve the issues I am having.

So the various questions that arise are...

1. Is Ubuntu 10.04 a valid distribution to create a build environment on? If not, what is the preferred distro?

2. Are there problems with using a VM for the build environment? I know that there are performance issues (at least with gnibbles) when run on a VM but do they also translate over into building Gnome Games?

Once I get a fully working build environment I plan to write up a detailed instruction set on how to take a fresh distro all the way to a working build environment to help others in the future.

I appreciate any insight on this one and hope to join the coding effort someday soon!

Charlie