Alternate pieces for glchess

Hi,

I've played glchess a bit with glchess and I find it the most
convenient gnuchess front-end in my distribution (opensuse 11.2).
However there is one problem: unlike most other chess programs, glchess
has almost no settings which would allow to customize its visual
appearance (except switching between 2d and 3d modes). Moreother, the
only available set of 2d pieces looks quite ugly for me. So I would
like to contribute fancier chess pieces for 2d mode.

Now the question: I see that the drawings used for chess pieces are
currently stored in a hash directly in the Python code. Of course
having more than just one such hash would probably be inconvenient, as
the application will have to always have them loaded into its memory in
order to allow users to switch chess sets on the fly. So can anybody
tell me what would be the preferred method to store two or more
separate sets of drawings by a such way that they can be easily loaded
and passed to pycairo on user's request?

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty