Re: Turning off Bug Buddy?

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Andreas Røsdal <andrearo pvv ntnu no> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Steffen, Brent
>> <Brent Steffen compuware com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How do we go about setting up a separate crash db?
>>
>> There's been wider Gnome project-wide discussions about this recently
>> so any solution would need to be Gnome project-wide.
>>
>> (Redirected back on-list.)
>
> Bug-buddy provides information about crashes from real users, and
> therefore gives important information about which bugs should be
> prioritized for fixing. Simply turning off bug-buddy without a new system
> in place seems like a bad idea, because then information about crasher bugs
> will then be lost. I therefore think that gnome-games should use
> the best GNOME project-wide solution, which currently is bug-buddy.

Actually, it turns out that Fernando Herrera (fer) just caught me on
IRC and is working on exactly what I was hoping for: the crash reports
that have no debug symbols will get sent to crash.gnome.org where they
get reconstituted using -debug packages from the user's distro. So we
can finally have real statistics about which crashes need attention
and can do something with reports from people that don't have good
backtraces.

There should be an announcement calling for help on -devel, soon. So,
no changes to Gnome Games.