Re: [ggz-dev] gnome.ggzgamingzone.org down?

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Josef Spillner wrote:
Am Samstag, 1. August 2009 11:33:31 schrieb Andreas Røsdal:
It seems that gnome.ggzgamingzone.org is down at the moment?
I can't connect to it using any of the gnome-games clients.

I can confirm it's not reachable at the moment. There are only a finite number
of solutions to this problem:
1) Find a server with 100% reliability. Unlikely to happen.
2) Implement server selection at application level by integrating support for
the GGZ metaserver into the Gtk+/GNOME client, and have somebody to maintain
the server list including fallbacks.
3) Implement server selection at the network level by having multiple DNS
entries, and have somebody to maintain the DNS records.

Bidirectional database replication is needed for 2+3. When we looked into this
topic some years ago, it wasn't very feasible. Since then, a number of high-
quality addons for databases have been released, so I'd say it's worth another
look.

In other news, us.ggzgamingzone.org is currently being migrated by its hoster
to a new machine which is supposedly much stronger than the old one without
being more expensive. I'm not sure if it should host the primary server, but
at least it gives us the technical possibility now to implement a fallback
server large enough to handle a couple of players.

Josef

Ok. It seems that gnome.ggzgamingzone.org is still down. Will Roger be able to get the server online again?

I'll check with the gnome-games developers if they have any input on this.

 - Andreas