Re: Flash games

On Jan 23, 2008 2:04 PM, Benjamin Otte <otte gnome org> wrote:

> - There are no good Free development environments for creating Flash
> content.

While I agree there is no all-in-one adobe-like flash IDE, there is a
lot Free Software tool that allow to create flash content:

Ming (flash gordon worst enemy)
http://www.libming.org/
"""Ming is a library for generating Macromedia Flash files (.swf),
written in C, and includes useful utilities for working with .swf
files.

It has wrappers that allow it to be used in C++, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Perl."""

A few game experiments I've done with it:
http://pandipanda.aminche.com/
http://wow.aminche.com/

Combined with the easily embeddable gnash player
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/), I believe it can lead to a
decent desktop game distribution platform.

Haxe and MTASC are very good even better candidate:
http://haxe.org/
http://www.mtasc.org/

It seems they are used by motion-twin for developing all their games:
http://www.motion-twin.com/english

About the data production there is a nice xml2swf tool called swfmill:
http://swfmill.org/

Plus there is plenty of game development oriented action script
library referenced on OpenSource Flash portal:
http://osflash.org/

About SVG, is the animation element
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/animate.html supported by gecko or webkit ?

Do you know Canvas 2D, which allow do draw things in javascript, and
looks fully supported by firefox and safari engine ?
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Canvas_tutorial
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Category:Canvas_examples
http://blobsallad.se/

Hope that helps.