Re: I am a Beginner, help please

If your distro can install gnome-common for you, that may work better.
Otherwise, you will have to set some environment variables so the
configure script can find the gnome-common you installed to home:

export PATH=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/sbin:/home/madhu/gnome-builds/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/lib/pkgconfig