Re: [Tango-artists] Gnome Sudoku

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 15:25 +0100, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 03:25 +0100, Stephen Brandt wrote:
> > Hello peeps,
> >
> > Here's the complete package of the Sudoku icon I created during Tango
> > Fridays some time ago. And because the dev's don't seem to like any
> > others licenses than GPL I dual licensed the icon to both GPL and
> > CC-BY-SA.
>
> Hi Stephen,
> Unless you have used parts of tango base icon set, it's better to avoid
> dual licensing. If the pencil comes form tango base, I recommend
> replacing it with one from the gnome icon theme. Dual licensing would
> mean keeping track of licenses per icon in every tarball they are part
> of.

It's worse than that. You need to keep track of what elements in the
icon are under what license. What dual-licensing means is that you are
essentially violating one of the licenses, if not both, because you're
claiming the choice is on the person who wants to use the icon. To not
violate the licenses, and actually distribute the icon under only one
license, then the elements not under that license, must be removed.

Given that only one application should ever be using any one branded
application icon, anyway, there's no need to try and dual-license an
icon.

-- dobey