Re: gnome games without gnome (osx, win32)

On 2/7/07, Andreas R. <andreasr gnome org> wrote:

[...]

Hi Robert,
It's very impressive that you've gotten so far in porting gnome-games to
osx with native gtk. I've previously tried to do the same thing, but
stopped because of too many problems.

Thanks.

This could probably be committed to gnome-games, if it will not make the
code more difficult to maintain. I took a look at your patch at
http://www.abisource.com/~robsta/osx/gg-osx-01.diff and see that you've
added a lot of #if HAVE_GNOME. Could it be possible to reduce the number
of such if def's?

Most #ifdef-s are surrounding gconf calls. When getting serious about
a non-gnome version it might be an idea writing a simple gconf
abstraction, possibly in the egg namespace.
Something like
egg_conf_get_client_default()
egg_conf_client_get_string()
egg_conf_client_set_string()
that wraps gconf or, if not available, manipulates a DOM tree holding
the settings.
Maybe something like that already exists?

- Rob