Re: Business of branding [Re: Brading for GNOME games]

Alan Horkan wrote:
I would however keep in mind that the GPL fully allows some third party to
repackage Gnome Games with entirely different artwork, if I recall
correctly Nicu created a Fedora themed set of Artwork for Same Gnome which
the distributor could add in later.  People have joked before about a

I had two set of themes: one with the Fedora bubble which I kept on my own site and another with the GNOME foot which I put on bugzilla.

"Barbie Linux" distribution but there is a grain of truth in that joke.
The idea could work for freedom software so long as it was carefully aimed
at a paying audience, just as ringtones and artwork can be sold to phone
users who are accustomed to paying for the service.  (There are other
tactics of shareware developers I believe are not incompatible with the
GPL but the profit margins are thin not usually worth the hassle. Tactics
like a developer asking for "donations" to cover the extra hassle and
expense of creating versions of their software for windows.)

Maybe if *all* games worked with graphics downloaded by the user in his home directory we could have a category on art.gnome.org with game "skins" for everyone to play with.

my clipart page: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro
my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/