Re: Maintainership of gnome-games

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Callum McKenzie wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:12:13 +1200
> From: Callum McKenzie <callum spooky-possum org>
> To: games-list gnome org
> Subject: Maintainership of gnome-games
>
> I have been the maintainer of gnome-games for just over three years, but
> I'm finding I'm not able to give it everything I used to and I'm not
> enjoying it as much as I used to. As a result I'm going into
> semi-retirement.

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams:
"So long and thanks for all the fish"

> I'm going to keep the releases ticking over at least until GNOME 2.16
> comes out and I will still do some work, but not in any reliable manner.
> Hopefully I will be playing in other parts of GNOME.

Please do comment in bug reports if there are things you do not expect you
will have time to do.  With a little help from you I will see if I can put
more effort and get any of my patches cleaned up and finished before new
maintainer tries to take over.

> I will be available to help out anyone who wants to step in to fill the
> gap (of course every past maintainer of gnome-games has said that in
> their farewell speech). If you want to try out the maintainership game,
> gnome-games isn't bad.

> It isn't a simple as people say - mostly because it is such a large and
> diverse set of code -

Lisp! Mwuhahaha.  Not so bad when/if you get the hang of it but not
everyones cup of tea.

Gnome games is a great example of maintainance being more than 90 % of the
code, more like 99.99 % if you take into account the ongoing improvements
and additional work to improve accessibility, usability, and gameplay.
No one should be in any doubt there is are always plenty of things to be
done if you are interested in development as well as maintainance.  (I'm
still hoping to push Aisleriot to over 100 games but it takes a lot to
get in the mood for lisp.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org