Refactoring and commenting

Hi all,

I recently refactored part of Gnomine as trying to modify it for Bug
#307245 was very difficult. Part of the refactoring included adding
comments on some confusing sections (very little of the codebase seems
to be commented). As I now know the gnotravex codebase quite well I
plan to do some fairly heavy refactoring on it soon.(it is a 2000 line
single file that is crying out to be split into two or three parts).

What is the Gnome Games community position on refactoring/commenting?
I am particularly interested as I chose gnotravex as the first game to
make changes to due to it's relative simplicity. However the code is
quite complex and would potentially turn off future coders and
patchers. I think lowering the bar to new developers is a timeworthy
task.

Later,
--Robert