Re: SVGCards?

Nelson Benítez said:

> If you read planet gnome then you probably already know it :), but
> Federico posted an interesting entry[1] on how vertical tiles are
muchminusculeamount
> more efficient that horizontal ones (horizontal tiles are heavily used
> in gnome-games). Maybe this could be a minor todo for gnome-games.
>
> [1] http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/news-2005-08.html#05

As a historical footnote, it's great. In practice, while we may gain some
performance advantage whenever we do the subpixbuf work, it is miniscule
when compared to other issues... the speed of PNG decompression in raster
themes, the amount of time spent re-parsing the SVG file on resize[2], and
the sheer ammount of work, memory, and overhead (say, Pango for text
rendering) it currently takes to render 52 large cards all at once. Also,
would-be themers would wind up hating gnome-games because of the unwieldy
format. :)

[2] This problem _might_ get fixed in librsvg prior to GNOME 2.14, even on
games that don't support Cairo.

-Richard Hoelscher
http://rahga.com/svg/