Re: SVG for Gnome Card Games

Steven:

Vector graphics are already supported in Aisleriot as of gnome-games-2.10,
released March '05. You can get SVG sources and a brief overview at
http://rahga.com/svg/ , or append these filenames to that URL to get the
bleeding edge jumbo-sized 1600x1200 screenshots:

- paris.jpg - One of two card themes based on traditional Paris pattern
card decks.
- dondorf.jpg - A hybrid theme that uses PNG for the portraits and SVG for
layout and remaining graphics, built on scans from Dondorf cards.
- blackjack.jpg - Includes a preview of a theme that I'm working on to
replace bonded.png (and hope to be done with during June '05), and shows
how large our SVG cards can get.

We also have SVG support in many of our other games, such as Mahjongg,
Minesweeper, and Klotski. We intend to support full-screen modes for all
the games eventually.

----

That said, I would love to see more card quality card decks... Especially
original ones. It's a hard task, though. It's certainly nothing that will
require an official gnome-games blessing before you get started.

Adam Nathan's blog indicates that he hasn't done any graphics for the face
cards and such. In the same vein, SVG templates containing everything but
the artwork for face cards and card backs for aisleriot have been
available at my site for about half a year:
http://rahga.com/svg/cardtemplate2.svg

If you need any help getting started with gnome-games, be sure to check out
http://gnome.org/projects/gnome-games/contributing.html , and email
games-list if you have any questions.

Finally, regarding Cairo... We currently use librsvg to render our cards
to pixbufs, then we make pixmaps out of them. Since librsvg will soon
support Cairo (with plans to replace Cairo's internal SVG support,
originally forked from a much younger librsvg), little to nothing will
change about the actual appearance of the cards.

-Richard Hoelscher
http://rahga.com/svg

 <snip>