Re: svg cards 2.0 (pre1)

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 15:40 -0700, David Bellot wrote:
> Hi Gnome-games
>
> I finished my SVG-cards 2.0 and it's ready for gnome-games. What I would
> like, if gnome-games developpers are agree, is that this deck becomes
> the standard deck for gnome-games. Download it at
> http://david.bellot.free.fr/files/new_db.svg

Well it can't be the default, our SVG rendering is still too slow to
make that practical. Some immediate comments based on playing with it
for a few minutes (some good, some bad):

 - The detailed work is really well done - although I have to play a
game like "cover" to see all the detail.
 - The white space around the edge of the cards seems a bit small.
 - With the face cards, the letter seems to cut off the cut in the
background. I suspect this is deliberate, but not to my taste.

On the rendering front: I'm not entirely sure what to do. For a resize
we could just rescale the pixmaps we have (this is quick) and then do
the hard rendering in the background so that the user faces fuzz for a
few seconds rather than a pause. This still doesn't help start-up time.
I don't think that librsvg is going to miraculously get faster either.

One final question: Is this meant to be an enhanced version of the set
we already have in gnome-games-extra-data or a new card set?

 - Callum