Re: Menu names and placement

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 11:06 -0600, Richard Hoelscher wrote:
> Well, the fact that iagno is in that list kinda lends credence to the
> notion that selecting certain games is a completely subjective exercise...
> In my opinion, compared to the rest of gnome-games, the tile-flipper games
> and gnect are boring. :)

Probably, which is why we'd never be able to get some kind of community
consensus on this. It's pretty simple to do a survey of what kinds of
games people play, also look at Yahoo games for what their most played
games are.  This make it not so much the whim of some random person but
a decision based on user data of game players.  We're open to better
methods, but maybe that's still subjective... it definitely seems better
than "I think this game is boring and this one is more exciting". ;-)

> I understand Fedora and Ubuntu's whims/needs for ultra-sleek-and-sexy
> games menus, but I don't see how making changes upstream would be the
> right way to do it.

Well GNOME isn't supposed to be the dumping ground for games written for
GNOME, but the best of breed games.  However it's always harder to drop
things from GNOME than it is to add them.  Fedora's whim/need is have a
set of games that are fun and varied instead of 18 different games some
of which are redundant, look old or just not fun (fun is based off of
'gamer data').

> Just pull Mahjongg and Solitaire, with Neverball etc.,
> into the distribution's own default games package, then offer the rest of
> the gnome-games as an optional enterainment pack of sorts, with it's own
> menu. Whenever the next Bust-A-Move (Monkey Bubble) comes along, it's easy
> to undo those changes and move the lowest game on the pole back to the
> distribution's gnome-games package.

Sadly that seems like the only option.  I guess I should clear up what I
said before, I don't want to add the new games to gnome-games module.  I
think the new games we're bringing in will fit into our default
entertainment pack and that's the best method to use.  But we are
dropping the number of games down and since other distros are looking to
do this as well it would be good to try to coordinate with GNOME
upstream.  My argument isn't that upstream should follow whatever
distros do, but that when many distributions are looking to do similar
things for similar reasons upstream should weigh that in as an option
and perhaps use the momentum to get the hard bits worked out.

Cheers,
~ Bryan