Re: Gnibbles network patch

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Callum McKenzie wrote:
> I've thrown this into CVS since it seems to work and also fixes some of
> the nasty loose ends from the iagno work.
>
> Some questions (which I could probably answer by looking more carefully
> at the code, but haven't yet):
>
> 1) What happens when a gnibbles game and an iagno game talk to the same
> game-server at the same time ? Does one try to play the other ?

They can use the same server, since the server currently has one thread
for iagno (with a specific port), and one thread for gnibbles (on another
port).

If you change the port-numbers on purpose, the games will connect, but
nothing should happen.

> 2) Can we be a bit better about discovery for the game server ?
> Metaservers are the traditional answer, but could we also do zeroconf
> style discovery on the local network (other parts of GNOME already do
> this).

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Maybe this is the next logical step of
network improvements?