Re: ANNOUNCE: Ghextris 0.2 "Rough around the edges" available

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 05:41, Callum wrote:
> As for getting into gnome-games. Until I get the current lot under control
> that isn't going to happen. In this case python is a potential problem
> since there is no general agreement about languages other than C in the
> desktop distribution (although gnome-games has optional C++ and scheme
> based parts).

Ok. It's not something I've been holding my breath about anyway; just a
thought. For now I'll just concentrate on getting it into Debian ;)

> The high score code in GNOME is going to be deprecated, I intend writing a
> replacement (and have started on a replacement scores dialog, see gnomine
> in CVS / 2.7.1).

Right; thanks for the heads up.

> The high scores might also be a problem with python since
> the program is required to be setgid, scripting languages usually don't
> like doing that.

Yes, that did crossed my mind too; might settle for saving a personal
high for now. If one were to use the system-wide score system, an
optional setgid C frontend would probably be needed. (Or one could
create a globally writable scorefile on installation, but perhaps the
sgid frontend is a better idea...)

Yes, I think I'm pretty much aware of the security implications of
sgid/suid wrapper programs :)

> Anyway, there is no HOWTO that I know of, but looking through a game like
> mahjongg and finding all the gnome_score_* and gnome_scores_* lines should
> give you an indication about what to do. I expect the API mapping from C
> to python to be straight-forward.

Yes, this seems likely; I'll see about that sometime. What with the
issues mentioned, though, I'll probably do some proper packaging first,
a .deb, and a public 0.9 release.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr iki fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>