Re: Gtali

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 14:06 +1300, Callum McKenzie wrote:

> The list as it exists is a bit random too :).
>
> Richard filed a series of gtali bugs in bugzilla that don't require, but
> imply, some UI changes. The one that springs to mind is the selection of
> human/computer players and changing names. i.e. almost the entire
> preferences dialog could be better.
>
> What I had in mind was to have the list of names as editable entries (as
> they currently are) and then beside them a drop-down list to select
> human/computer/none. The current "number of players" entries could then
> disappear. This also requires some back-end changes in the code, but
> Richards bugs make that necessary anyway.
>
> The other thought is to incorporate this behaviour into the tops of the
> columns in the main display, but that would probably look a bit messy.
> Any suggestions for making the main display cleaner and easier to read
> are also welcome.
>
> Some improvements to how keyboard interaction works would also be good.
> Currently you can play with the keyboard, but it is not as easy as it
> could be.
>
> Of course any ideas are worth suggesting. Just remember the GNOME ethos
> of keeping it simple and easy.
>
>  - Callum

Thanks for the suggestions. I've attached a new patch for gtali with the
changes I've made so far. It basically obsoletes my earlier patch in
Bugzilla. The changes made by this patch are:

1. Adds the toolbar to the game window with the layout:
	New  Quit | SelectAll DeselectAll Undo
SelectAll and DeselectAll are new functions which select all dice and
clear all dice selections respectively. Keyboard shortcuts and menu
entries for these functions haven't been done yet.

2. Inserts a label above the dice which displays the roll number. This
serves two purposes: (a) Tells the user how many times the dice were
rolled this turn, and (b) provides that "buffer zone" between the top
die and the toolbar/menubar.

3. Bolds the text for the special rows (totals and bonus) in the score
display, which sets them apart from the other rows that respond to mouse
clicks.

For the Preferences dialog, I had an idea to combine all the player
options into a single GtkTreeView, with one column for the player's
name, and another column with a toggle button to switch between Human
and Computer. The user could add and delete players from the list with
buttons, and edit the player options (name, human/computer) right in the
list. This would also eliminate the need for the two spin buttons for
number of players. Does this sound reasonable?

Regards,
Trevor