Gnect cleanup

Hi guys,

I've made some major changes to gnect recently. Basically, I sat down to
look at cleaning it up a little... and discovered there was no way to
get it decent without rewriting large chunks from scratch.

The result is a smaller, tidier gnect that'll be much more pleasant to
maintain. There are lots of user-visible improvements, too.

Since this isn't a couple-of-lines in a couple of files sort of change,
I don't know where to go from here. Ross, Callum, ... are you okay with
this? If so... how should I proceed?

Thanks,

Tim
--