java-gnome 4.0.3

       Module: java-gnome
      Version: 4.0.3
  Uploaded by: Andrew Cowie

http://download.gnome.org/sources/java-gnome/4.0/java-gnome-4.0.3.tar.gz
  md5sum: f7d91dc6de7944c3046756dae13f417c
    size: 412K

http://download.gnome.org/sources/java-gnome/4.0/java-gnome-4.0.3.tar.bz2
  md5sum: 50227b3f9985e7a0250bbb2d26e17950
    size: 300K

News
----

<a name="4.0.3" id="1185883828" title="Code generator landed"></a>

java-gnome 4.0.3 (31 Jul 2007)
==============================

_The code generator has landed!_

Work has been underway for several months to develop the next stage of the new
java-gnome: the code generator that will output the tedious translation and
native layers that allow us to glue our public API to the native GNOME
libraries. With this release we're pleased to announce that the code generator
is a reality!

Generated translation and JNI layers
------------------------------------

The primary goal of the java-gnome 4.0 re-engineering effort has been to switch
to an architecture whereby we could _generate_ the bulk of the machinery
necessary to take make native calls into the GNOME libraries from Java.

Extensive prototyping was done to establish the detailed design and to validate
the architecture we had developed. Releases 4.0.0 through 4.0.2 contained this
work along with mockups of the "translation" layer (the Java code that
downshifts from our Proxy objects to primitives suitable to pass over the JNI
boundary, along with the `native` declarations necessary in order to call
methods actually written in C) and of the "JNI layer" (the C code that
implements the methods declared in the translation layer which in turn coverts
parameters into GLib terms and then makes the actual function call into the
appropriate GNOME library).

With a solid foundation proving that our design was sound, we subsequently
began the long effort to implement a code generator which would output these
Java and C layers, allowing us to replace the `mockup/` directory and at last
leave behind the shackles of entirely hand written bindings. Over the past five
months, the java-gnome hackers have been steadily working on the 'codegen'
branch. The nature of the challenge meant that we had to have most of the code
in place before any of it would be useful -- never an enviable task to be
working on. Thanks to the hard work of Andrew Cowie, Vreixo Formoso Lopes, and
Srichand Pendyala, we reached the point  where the output Java code compiled in
May, and the output C code successfully compiled in by the end of June.
Tremendous.

We've been bug hunting and refining since then, pushing towards the point where
we could merge back to 'mainline', at last replacing the hand written mockup
code. We are today pleased to announce the culmination of that work with the
release of java-gnome 4.0.3.

_This post on the [development of the java-gnome code generator][codegen]
contains further details should you be interested; the file
[5a-Architecture.txt][architecture] in the `doc/design/` directory of the
source code explains the rationale and origin of the engineering design._

New coverage
------------

Although our focus has evidently been on getting the generator into working
order, there have nevertheless been a few minor coverage additions along the
way:

* **`org.gnome.gtk.Entry`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Separator`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.HSeparator`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.VSeparator`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Frame`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Calendar`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Notebook`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Image`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Menu`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.MenuBar`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.MenuItem`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.ToggleButton`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.CheckButton`**

which are largely to the credit of Sebastian Mancke for having submitted them
and Srichand Pendyala for having fixed up their JavaDoc. There have also been
steady improvements to a number of other classes; notably further signals and
utility methods exposed in:

* **`org.gnome.gtk.Widget`**
* **`org.gnome.gtk.Container`**

along with some preliminary coverage of the lower level GDK event machinery:

* **`org.gnome.gdk.Event`**
* **`org.gnome.gdk.EventType`**

As is reasonable given our focus on writing the actual translation and JNI
layer generators, most of these present only one or two methods from the
underlying native class. Coverage will steadily improve as people contribute
their knowledge and experience in documentation form.

_People upgrading from 4.0.2 will actually notice that there are stubs for
**all** of the public API classes; this was necessary to make the generated
code compile. Most of these are empty as yet._

GList and friends
-----------------

`GList` and `GSList` are the native GLib data structures used to represent
lists and are the return type from quite a few methods across GTK. Vreixo
Formoso Lopes worked out how to handle and working our wrap/unwrap functions
for us to use in the JNI layer made a significant contribution to reducing our
blacklisted method count.

Flags
-----

We've also worked out handling of native types that, while type defined as
enums, are actually bit fields. These are used occasionally in GTK to express
options; two examples now exposed are:

* **`org.gnome.gtk.CalendarDisplayOptions`**
* **`org.gnome.gdk.WindowState`**

Flags subclasses present an `or()` function allowing you to combine individual
Flags constants into a new composite Flags object. Yes it's a lot of machinery
to do a logical `|`, but being strongly typed is a hallmark of java-gnome.

Build improvements
------------------

No release would be complete without mentioning that the code builds on more
systems than it did before! Thanks to Maciej Piechotka and Srichand Pendyala
for fixing problems resulting from Debian and Ubuntu strangeness.

The build internally now uses an optimized script that takes into account that
even though the code generator may have run the translation and jni files may
not actually be different. This was causing problems as Make only looks at file
modification time. Instead, `build/faster` (great name, huh?) will only rebuild
a target when source contents have changed. This was necessary for bindings
hackers working in Eclipse; every time a file was saved Eclipse would merrily
spawn off an auto-build which sooner or later would block the IDE UI. Yuk.
Addressing this has also resulted in a faster build for everyone; all good.

The internal build script _should_ be transparent; you still run `./configure`
and `make` as before. If you experience problems let us know.

Thread safety
-------------

In addition to the code generator, java-gnome 4.0.3 incorporates a
comprehensive thread safety strategy.

None of the major Java graphical toolkits out there let you make GUI calls from
threads other than the "main" one; they're all single threaded. Even if all you
want to do is a quick worker thread to carry out some input validation in the
background after the user presses "OK", you have to jump through horrific
contortions to do so safely, resulting in cumbersome, clunky code.

By contrast, the new Java bindings of GTK presented in java-gnome are
**transparently thread safe**, the first and only graphical user interface
widget toolkit for Java to be so! We integrate properly with the underlying GDK
thread lock and as a result you can safely make calls to various GTK methods
from worker threads! This has been a long sought after goal and we hope a
significant contribution to helping developers write elegant code.

Every call made to the native libraries is protected by entering the "GDK lock"
[that's `gdk_threads_enter/leave()` for those familiar with the C side of
things]. The lock used is actually a Java side `synchronized` monitor and
therefore reentrant; nested calls all behave properly. When in a signal handler
callback the GDK lock is already held (you're "in" the main loop when a
callback happens), but since it just works transparently you don't need to
worry about it. If you do find a need to take the lock into account explicitly
in your own code, see `Gdk.lock` in `org.gnome.gdk`.

_It is worth noting that we have been warned that there are certain to be
places in the underlying libraries that do not yet live up to the requirements
of the GDK threads model -- thus we will likely end up tripping over such
things as we slowly add API coverage. We regard such inevitable instances as an
opportunity to help contribute to improving the stability of the underlying
libraries and will actively work with their maintainers to identify and resolve
such issues. Nevertheless, in testing thus far our multi-threaded use of GTK
has been rock solid. See these posts on [GTK thread
"awareness"][gtk-thread-awareness] and [java-gnome's thread
strategy][java-gnome-thread] if you wish further details on our approach to the
thread safety question._

Thanks in particular to Owen Taylor for having helped us navigate these waters!

Looking ahead
-------------

Taken together, these innovations represent the culmination of an immense
amount of work towards realizing java-gnome as a viable platform for GTK and
GNOME development.

Obviously with the generated translation layer in place the opportunity at last
exists to start dramatically improving our coverage level, and we welcome
contributions to this end. Prospective hackers are cautioned, however, that
simply wrapping generated methods is insufficient -- public API will only be
added when it is clearly documented and meets the [approachability][objectives]
criterion.

There are still areas where the code generator needs to be improved; we need to
improve our handling for arrays, lists, and out-parameters -- there are
numerous permutations with all sorts of ugly corner cases.

Now that Free Java with support for generics is becoming widely available,
4.0.3 will be the last release holding the language level to Java 1.4; starting
the next cycle 1.5 will be the minimum language requirement and we will be
leveraging generics and other 1.5 features from here on.

Most importantly, the primary focus of the next few months will be developing a
quality binding for the backbone of many applications: the `TreeView` Widget
and the underlying `TreeModel` which powers it. The APIs in the native library
is hideously complicated and has long been the source of confusion and pain for
developers in C; it has long been a major goal amongst the java-gnome hackers
to present a public API with as friendly and usable an interface as possible.
It'll be a good challenge.

AfC

[architecture]: /4.0/doc/design/5a-Architecture.html
[codegen]: http://research.operationaldynamics.com/blogs/andrew/software/java-gnome/code-generator-cometh.html
[objectives]: /4.0/objectives.php
[gtk-thread-awareness]: http://research.operationaldynamics.com/blogs/andrew/software/gnome-desktop/gtk-thread-awareness.html
[java-gnome-thread]: http://research.operationaldynamics.com/blogs/andrew/software/java-gnome/thread-safety-for-java.html

--
An RSS 2.0 feed of ftp-release-list is available at:
http://download.gnome.org/LATEST.xml