Re: Re: avdbtools

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:41:28AM -0700, John C. Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:37:23AM +0000, Edward A. Falk wrote:
> > Oh, I meant to ask, what does the twr.txt file contain?  I notice
> > you combine it with apt.txt to generate the airports.nav database.
>
> I'll have to double check, but it probably something like the
> COM frequency that is pulled out.

I took another look and the intermediate TWR records (with colon
sep fields) can have tower, ground, and ATIS frequencies. They
get associated with the APT records in nasdconv. It appeared that the
ground frequencies never get used (maybe stuff into the comment
field?)

One same favor, please don't send me a patch that hacks or breaks
the existing stuff in write_fplan.c. It's just common sense to
never break anything that already works and someone might want,
and courtesy to want to preserve the ability to generate legacy
fplan format files, (for the benefit of the existing fplan user
community which goes back to 1989).

Make a copy named write_xfplan.c and hack that to reflect your
changes. It shouldn't be an inconvenience for you, I designed
all the code to make it easy to add new formats (grep, search for
icao to seen another format ). Please feel free to ask for help,
I still remember the code pretty well so I know it won't take me
long.

I hope you better see why I recommended you make a blanket change
of the string "fplan" -> "xfplan" in all of your code that will
read these new (xfplan?) file formats. (BTW, this is very easy to
do with sed). Nothing gets broken, and nobody gets confused.

--
 ___|___ | John C. Peterson, KD6EKQ | Try Linux for Intel x86, because
  -(*)-  | mailto:jcp eskimo com    | a PC is a terrible thing to waste!