Re: status of fplan?

On 26 Dec 2003, at 12:07, John C. Peterson wrote:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 02:14:29PM -0500, Kevin Horton wrote:
I've stumbled across fplan and managed to get it working on Mac OS X,
although I'm still puzzled by how to create a personal database.

Kevin,

There is a paragraph or so about this topic in the user's guide.
Basically you create a text version of the database file with
your favorite editor (see "man 5 fplan" for the format specifics),
and then process the file with "paddb" to generate the fixed length
records that fplan expects. Contact me directly if you have trouble..

I eventually got paddb working by creating a .csv file with gnumeric. My current suspicion is that I was feeding it the wrong kind of line endings on my early attempts.

I'm wondering what the status of fplan is.  Has development ceased?
Is anyone still using the program, or is there some other similar
unix program that I haven't found yet?

There is a derivative work called xplan? out there (sorry I cant be
more specific, I'm on the road for the holidays, and don't have all
my usual resources handy). It provides a GTK based graphical interface.

I'll look for xplan once I'm back home again after New Years. Thanks for mentioning it.

I do have a ton of patches and small improvements for fplan that
kind folks have sent me (as well as for the Linux Aviation HOWTO).
So yes, it is used by quite a few pilots out there....

Happy Holidays, John

For anyone who is interested, now that I have fplan running on OS X, I've started the process to add it to the list of programs supported by the Fink project. Fink is a set of tools to automate building unix programs on Mac OS X. Once they accept my submission, you'll be able to simply open up Terminal.app and type "fink install fplan-nox" (the -nox signifies without the X preview option), and fplan will be installed. See http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Kevin Horton