Re: gui & Database

John:

> Could you elaborate a little on this? The "fplan files" require lots
>of fussing around to create, and avdbtools currently supports only the
>NASD files. The hope would be to have the ability to create a complete,
>timely (e.g. not expired :^) and workable db using only the DAFIF data.
>DAFIF would also finally get a data pipeline open to the non-US pilots!

The NASD files contain more information than DAFIF, that's the only reason
why I would use NASD as a base and then update with DAFIF (I've got the
old, old NASD files at the moment). (I still can't find Bay Bridge Airport
(W29) in the DAFIF files). I do need to investigate this first as its
probably my mistake why I can't find the information.

The code I've already worked up does read the DAFIF header files so it
doesn't rely on the fields being in a certain order, therefore less
maintenance on our part.

>  I think one important issue related to the databases is that it is
>imperative that it be easy for a user to create his/her own "personal
>database". I'm glad to see you appreciate this... (the standalone tool)

One of my reasons for supporting SQL, its far easier for others to
customize a SQL database with other tools rather than us having to write
tools for the current file format. Then we'd just need a simply SQL ->
flat file converter for those who need the simple files (i.e. palm tops.)

This also makes me think we should add support for more than one database
in a particular format. i.e. one full db, and as many (within reason)
personal databases. For me I may say, exclude everything west of the the
Missippippi as all my flying at the moment is on the east coast.

OK, lots for me to think on :)

Mike