Re: gui & Database

> (Can't the airport symbol change depending upon the runway
> heading?

Actually, it could, and I've done it for my old flight simulator's
map mode.  However, the databases distributed with fplan don't
include runway information.

Not sure it's worth it though.  All we really need is a reasonable
symbol.  (Hmmm, maybe I'll use the green circle from the jepp
charts or the brown one from the noaa charts.)

>  I've taken a quick look at the database code and it shouldn't be too
> much work to
> convert the code into a modular, generic database handler. This may
> affect the work being done by others looking up information in the
> database. I will keep the functionality of the existing db functions
> as much as is possible. I'll have to change the existing function
> names into function pointers, hopefully it won't upset everything else
> too much.
>
> To start I'll stick with the current format and add PostgresSQL support.
> (Once the framework is in place adding support for different databases is
> trivial if you know the database API)

Could you explain in 25 words or less what PostgresSQL is?  Is this
some sort of complicated database engine?  Does it run standalone or
will users need some sort of network connection to use it?  Will it
use a lot of disk space?  Will we still be able to port fplan to
palmtops?