Running Gnome version under KDE (was: New fplan release is out ....)

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 09:48:28PM -0400, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> John Peterson writes:
> >   Oh dear, *where* does the time go? Sorry for the belated reply, I got
> >engulfed in another brush fire at work.
>
> And then I was on vacation for a few weeks...

   Hope you had a nice time. I'm enjoying a little bit slower pace at
work lately, but I'm still really looking forward to taking some
vacation time myself, scheduled for mid August.

   The 1.4.2 release seems to be fairly stable, I haven't got *any* bug
reports on it yet. (Sound of tapping on wood :^) However, I have received
several e-mails from concerned users of KDE. It seems there is a rather
wide spread misconception among KDE users that they can't run Gnome
based applications.

   I just upgraded to RH 6 at work about a month ago, and that was my
first opportunity to really dig into the Gnome libraries. I've since
upgraded my heavily customized RH 4.2 box at home, so I know how KDE
users might feel about the effort required to (build) install all the
required libs.  Of course, we can likely provide statically linked
binaries (like I'm doing for the XView version) to make life easy for
the casual user.

   Anyhow, I figure it's worth adding an entry to the FAQ to clarify
some of these issues. I think the main point to emphasis is that fplan
currently uses only the display widgets, so behavior is uniform over
all window managers. And, it will be quite awhile before fplan has any
interoperation with the window manager or apps where compatibility
might be an issue.  My undrstanding was that KDE / Gnome now agree on
the "drag and drop" stuff, and that cooperation on interoperability
should head off any future compatibility problems when (if...) we go
beyond using just the display widgets. Just curious if you know of any
good pointers to web pages that might already address these issues??

Later, John

P.S. You may have seen it, Gnome now has a nice page on the canvas widget...

		http://www.gnome.org/devel/canvas/

--
 ___|___  | John C. Peterson, KD6EKQ | Try Linux for Intel x86, because
  -(*)-   | mailto:jaypee@netcom.com | a PC is a terrible thing to waste!