Re: New fplan release is out ....

John Peterson writes:
>   Oh dear, *where* does the time go? Sorry for the belated reply, I got
>engulfed in another brush fire at work.

And then I was on vacation for a few weeks...

>   Haven't played with this yet, but I guess I understand how it works
>and it sounds like I wont need to worry about it until I have the
>interface design mostly worked out.

Correct.  There is also now documentation on libglade on
http://developer.gnome.org/

>   I think a reasonable approach might be to work in small steps, perhaps
>targeting something like a PC-104 based system running genuine linux
>first.

Makes sense.

>   I haven't had a chance to dig into the new 2.2 kernel much (although
>I'm running RH 6 at work). Can you give us an idea of how useful the
>new frame buffer video interface might be? How far off is Gnome support
>for this (frame buffer)?

I don't know if anyone is working on it actively; most of it would be
trivial to do, except that window management would have to be done by
hand instead of handing it off to X.  A limited port that assumes that
a toplevel window takes over the whole screen would probably be quite
easy, and would probably be best for an application like this anyway.

michaelkjohnson