Re: Question to candidates: eco-friendliness

On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 18:10 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:

What steps do you think the Foundation could take to reduce its
environmental impact, and the environmental impact of the project as
a whole?

All the previous replies have good ideas.  We should definitely enable
remote hackfests.  Is this "just" about gnome.org hosting a WebRTC
service which we can already use through practically any web browser?
I don't know!

In terms of engagement, we need conferences on the scale of GUADEC or
Gnome Asia, but in the Americas, and outside the United States, where
travel+visas are problematic.  But in terms of environmental impact, I
am not sure whether this would enable fewer people to fly across the
ocean for their yearly "big GNOME conference", or if it would encourage
*more* people to fly cross-continent to the new conference.

I wonder if it is possible to get reports on power consumption from
things like our CI runners.  Maybe even power profiles for individual
runs?  Or does the way things run in datacenters, where *our* CI runs
are not the only thing running on a server, make this not entirely
trivial to do?

  Federico