Re: Question to candidates: eco-friendliness

This one hits me where I live :-).

I work for a company which has over 100,000 employees, all of whom it forces to commute into central offices, despite being one of the planer's largest internet companies.

Quite frankly, it's insane.

I would argue for face-to-face meetings to be the exception, rather than the rule, and encourage Gnome developers to help create the world's best videoconferencing collaboration stack.

I understand that personal travel for young developers can be a great way to integrate them into FLOSS teams (I'm on the way to a conference hoping to do that right now) but I feel this should be focussed on new/early stage career developers and more established folks should really try and motivate local talent without having to fly around the world producing an obscene carbon footprint.

I'd encourage local groups, connected by Gnome developed internet technology.

The more we use this ourselves, the better we're going to have to make it work.

With the end of Moore's law we also need to start making our code more efficient on smaller machines.

Avoiding crypto-currencies which seem to me to be an alien conspiracy to burn as much power as possible to cook the planet would also help (FYI, in case anyone misunderstands me, that's a joke. I don't really believe this :-).

This is a long term problem which will require effort on many fronts to help everyone.

Jeremy