Minutes of the Foundation Board 4 July 2018

Hello from your new secretary! A few points of order to accompany these minutes:

These minutes were recorded during the meeting and published on the wiki by Allan. Starting with the following board meeting, the minutes will generally be recorded by me or Federico.

I apologize for the delay in sending them to foundation-list as I wasn't yet aware of how the full process was supposed to work. For future board meetings, you will be able to count on them being sent more promptly.

Also note that the date of the next meeting is wrong, but in order to avoid a discrepancy between the published minutes on the wiki and on the mailing list I've left it as is. The next meeting is actually Tuesday 24 July 2018 at 15:30 UTC.

Location on wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180704

= Foundation Board Minutes for Wednesday, July 4th 2018 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, July 10th 2018, 18:00 UTC

== Attending ==

* AllanDay (remote)
* NuritziSanchez
* CarlosSoriano
* PhilipChimento
* FedericoMenaQuintero
* RosannaYuen
* DidierRoche
* RobertMcQueen (remote)

== Regrets ==

* KatGerasimova
* CosimoCecchi
* MegFord
* NeilMcGovern

== Missing ==

== Agenda ==

* Appoint board officers
* Appoint committee members and board liasons
* Executive Director line manager

== Minutes ==

* Appoint board officers
  * VOTE: appoint the following as listed:
    * President: Nuritzi Sanchez
    * Vice-president: Allan Day
    * Secretary: Philip Chimento
    * Vice-secretary: Federico Mena Quintero
    * Treasurer: Carlos Soriano
    * Vice-treasurer: Rob McQueen
    * +1 unanimous

* ED line manager
  * Currently Allan. Has bi-weekly calls with Neil, sends a report to the board.
  * Question - what is the role of the line manager? Purely pastoral, or board representative? Technically the ED is answerable to the board as a whole, but the board doesn't currently have board-only discussions.
  * Rob - board meetings are typically when the ED is held to account by the board. The line manager is more of a pastoral role. Should cover professional development.
  * Rob has management and HR expertise and could take on the role - he'll take over from Allan
  * Rob to provide progress reports and assist setting up HR processes for the Foundation

* Appoint committee members and board liaisons
  * We want to have a board member on each committee, to act as liason. Each liason doesn't have to be an active committee member - just has a formal membership so they can participate in a limited capacity.
  * VOTE: appoint the following committee members as listed:
    * Code of conduct: Federico Mena Quintero (*), Felipe Borges, Rosanna Yuen
    * Sponsorship: Alberto Ruiz, Emily Chen, Sri Ramkrishna, Wen Qixian, Executive Director, Rob McQueen (*)
    * Travel: David King, Germán Poo-Caamaño, Michael Hall, Adelia Rahim, Philip Chimento (*)
    * Engagement: Nuritzi Sanchez (*), Sri Ramkrishna, Rosanna Yuen, Neil McGovern
    * Membership: Tobias Mueller, Andrea Veri, Pascal Terjan, Kunal Jain, Marcin Kolny, Carlos Soriano (*)
    * (*) indicates board liaison
  * +1 unanimous
  * In future, the board would like to create guidelines for committees, so that we can set expectations and ensure that members are active and responsive.

* ACTION: each liasion to communicate the vote back to their respective committee - https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/68