Re: Proposal for an Events Code of Conduct and Policy Referendum

Hi Philip,

On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 05:37 +0000, philip chimento gmail com wrote:
Your email references vaguely some recent events. Reading between the
lines, something must have happened in the WG to make the situation
untenable for you, but I have no idea what. According to [1], the
WG's mailing list is private, and there are only public minutes up
until February 2017, so I'm assuming that these events are not
documented anywhere that I can read.

There are some hints in the Minutes, as to where the differences
originally stem from (I am happy to look them up for anyone
interested). But I believe that this is not of primary relevance in the
current situation.

I encourage you to continue to discuss your concerns with the board
privately. With this little context, it sounds like public action
runs a risk of making things even more "political," since you are
effectively asking the subscribers of foundation-list to form their
opinions without knowing what is going on. That will likely lead to
assumptions, projection, and more misunderstandings.

You are obviously right with your concerns. And even if I may not have
fully considered these aspects, I still do not see another option for
me.

Please note that the aim of the mail is to ask the Board to adopt my
proposal for a referendum on their own accord. Including my motivations
and CC'ing foundation-list was unfortunately a requirement considering
the difficulty of the situation at this point.

I do hope that community members will form their own opinion on whether
a Referendum is a good solution rather than deciding solely based on
whether they think my motivations have merits.

Regards,
Benjamin

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Diversity/CoCWorkingGroup

Regards,