Re: GNOME Board of Directors Foundation Elections 2017 - Candidates

On 26 May 2017 at 14:17, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 11:24 AM Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:

It's that time of the year again! I'm happy to announce the following
candidates for this year's Board of Directors elections:

[list of 7 candidates for 7 board positions]

 Is it really useful to go through with the election process when the
outcome is already known beforehand?

The outcome is not known yet: it is possible for there to be anywhere
up to 7 candidates who get in because we use the single transferable
vote system.

For the system to work correctly, it relies on people voting only for
the candidates that they want on the board (which is not necessarily
all 7 candidates) in their order of preference. This means that if one
only wants 5/7 candidates to be on the board, then one should only
vote for 5 people, not for 7 people. As there is a minimum number of
votes that each candidate has to get before they make it onto the
board, this could mean that some candidates do not reach than
threshold.

Here is an example of how the vote counting works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote#Example

Cheers,
Florian