Re: I have realised the problem here

Poor horse.

But in all seriousness... I completely agree with you, I use separate workspaces for a reason: to keep tasks separate from each other, and to keep windows related to the task at hand in the same workspace. The standard way to switch seems broken to me too, but it seems to have been adopted from OSx. However, there's a simple solution: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/

You can even set it to only display windows in the current workspace. There's no need for agreement in ideology when there's technology to enable all of us to solve our problems ;)