Re: Fixing copyright notices on gnome.org websites

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Josh Triplett <josh joshtriplett org> wrote:
Unless the individual contributors working on the site have actually
legally assigned copyright to the GNOME Foundation, those contributors
likely retain their own individual copyrights.  (And I don't think we'd
want to require such an assignment.)

That's a really good point.

It doesn't seem worthwhile to attempt to include a pile of individual
copyright notices on every page, but "© The GNOME Foundation" doesn't
seem quite accurate either.  Perhaps it'd make sense to just drop it
entirely?

Those pages ace licensed under CC By. Dropping entirely the copyright
notice would make it impossible to properly attribute the work when
used under that license.

However, I have since realized that the current notices say "The GNOME
Project" and not "the GNOME Foundation". The latter is a clearly
defined entity and leads to the assignment issues you mentionned. The
former is a name for an informal collective, and I think that solves
the issue you raised.

Does that look good to you?

--
Alexandre Franke