Minutes of the Board meeting of August, 10th, 2016

= Foundation Board Minutes for Monday, August 10th 2016, 12:00 UTC =

Next meeting date ?

Wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20160810

== Attending ==

 * Jeff F.T. (outgoing)
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Shaun McCance
 * Meg Ford
 * Allan Day
 * Nuritzi Sanchez
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova (outgoing)
 * Alexandre Franke
 * Cosimo Cecchi

== Regrets ==

 * Andrea Veri (outgoing)
 * Jim Hall

== Missing ==

== Agenda for 2016-08-10 ==

 * Team building (Nuritzi)
 * 2015-16 review - what went well, where can we improve?
 * Review outstanding tasks
  * Handover tasks from outgoing board members
 * Election of officers
 * Pants award
 * Finances
 * Meeting agendas and minutes
  * How do we want to organize meeting agendas?
  * Do we want to stick with the rolling agenda approach?
  * How to keep track of reoccurring actions?
 * Possible discussions (time permitting):
  * GNOME-wide event Code of Conduct
  * Spending privacy funds

=== _Ongoing_ ===

'''The following section is part of the Agenda and includes items which have seen updates in the last 30 days.  Items which have been updated more than 30 days ago are listed under the "Ongoing but stalled" section.'''

 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board

== Minutes ==

 * Brainstorming session led by Nuritzi

 * Review of outstanding tasks

 * Officer's election
  * Review of roles' duties
  * One between the president and vice-president should be in the United States, because often we need to sign documents and forms for the U.S.
   * Nuritzi announces her candidacy for President
    * She's the only candidate, so Nuritzi is the new President
   * Allan and Shaun announce their candidacy for Vice-President
    * 6 votes for for Allan
    * 3 votes for Shaun
    * Allan is the new Vice-President
   * Cosimo announces his candidacy for Secretary
    * He's the only candidate, so Cosimo is the new Secretary
   * Alexandre announces his candidacy for Vice-Secretary
    * He's the only candidate, so Alexandre is the new Vice-Secretary
   * Kat announces her candidacy for Treasurer as a support member, external from the Board
    * The board is happy to have her fill in the role, so she is the new Treasurer
  * New officials
   * Nuritzi Sanchez - President
   * Allan Day - Vice-President
   * Cosimo Cecchi - Secretary
   * Alexandre Franke - Vice-Secretary
   * Ekaterina Gerasimova - Treasurer

 * Pants award
  * We had 5 candidates this year, a hard choice for the board
  * Alexander Larsson was chosen
   * "He's the man that makes our dreams reality" -- Allan Day on Alex Larsson

 * Finances
  * https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/InvoiceTracking/AdvisoryBoard2016
  * This year we've had fewer adboard members than last year
   * We invoiced $80k of adboard membership fees, but we only received $40k so far
   * Our personal donations aren't falling, even though 2015 was a good year because of Groupon
   * Overall for 2016 we're breaking even, but we haven't had as many hackfests so far
   * We have enough cash reserves to operate for about two years if we don't get any income
    * That is not taking into account hiring an ED (but the ED is expected to increase the Foundation income)
   * We have moved the Outreachy program to SFC, but we are paying for one intern this last round
    * We may want to revisit this for the following rounds if we're pressured on money

 * Meeting agendas and minutes
  * How does the board keep track of what needs doing, or what has been done
   * For instance, make sure action items are actually done by people that take them on
   * Keeping track of scheduled actions that need to happen at particular moments of the year
    * Conferences, requests for sponsorship, AdBoard renewals, etc
   * There seem to be tasks in OwnCloud
   * We could use the OwnCloud calendar for the scheduled actions
    * But first, we need to gather all those deadlines and recurirng events during the year
    * We could have different calendars for e.g. Sponsorship, Events, etc
    * ACTION: Allan to gather a list of every recurring events
   * ACTION: Cosimo to document the new pad/agenda process on https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/Minutes/UpcomingAgenda, since that is out of date at the moment

== _Ongoing_ ==

'''This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections'''

 * Meeting agendas and minutes
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Allan to gather a list of every recurring events
   * ACTION: Cosimo to document the new pad/agenda process on https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/Minutes/UpcomingAgenda, since that is out of date at the moment

 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  * 2016-05-23, ACTION: Allan will try if it's functional enough for us to use it now
  * 2016-06-06, Allan's tried it and reminders don't seem to work. Needs to follow up.
  * 2016-06-20, Since it works for Andrea, but not for Allan, help would be welcome from someone else for testing.
  * 2016-08-10
   * Cosimo tested creating an event, but with mixed results
   * ACTION: Cosimo to take it on from here

 * ED search update
  * 2016-08-10, The search is still ongoing

 * Google Play account
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Alexandre to follow up with the Release Team about this
  * 2015-12-08, Alexandre mailed the Release Team today, still waiting for an answer.
  * 2015-12-15 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Release team did not come to an agreement/conclusion. Unclear what next steps should be
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Allan to send out feelers to d-d-l and talk to r-t in person at GUADEC to get the ball rolling again

 * Status of logo copyright
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
  * 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun will send a proposal to licence the asset with dual LGPLv3/CC-BY-SA-4.0 (similar to adwaita-icon-theme)

 * Bitcoins donations data
  * Tobi is the only person with access to the Bitcoin donations data
  * 2016-02-23, ACTION: Alexandre to get in touch with him about this
  * 2016-03-01, Account is on BitPay using friends gnome org
  * 2016-08-10, Shut down the account, since we can't report those as donations. Bitcoin does not allow to trace the sender, which is required to report the donations to the IRS
   * VOTE: +1 Shaun, Meg, Allan, Nuritzi, Cosimo. -1 Alexandre
   * VOTE PASSED
   * ACTION: Rosanna to shut down the account
   * ACTION: Allan to remove the option from our website

 * Conference sponsorships
  * 2016-08-10
   * Previous action items were completed
   * ACTION: Kat to make sure that a sponsorship brochure with all conference, levels, combinations and perks is available for the Board to review

 * Friends of GNOME
  * 2016-04-11, ACTION: Alexandre to request more information about the donation data from the European donations system (Wau Holland Stiftung Foundation)
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME
   * ACTION: Meg volunteers to monitor the friends gnome org account for the time being

 * Google ad grant
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Shaun will pick this up again and try to register us into the program when he's back in the US
   * The actual ad campaigns would probably need to be managed by the Engagement/Marketing team
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to discuss with the Engagement Team and let the board know if they want to start using Google ad

 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks (last discussion from 2016-01-05)
  * 2016-01-12, Awaiting for Andrea's reply
  * 2016-01-19
   * Andrea replied back to Jeff
   * Jeff to bring the item back during any of the upcoming meetings
  * 2016-02-23, Jeff un-assigned the action item from himself, no current assignee
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Nuritzi to take on this project and figure out what it entails

 * Web page for prior pants winners
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun and Allan to add the web page

 * Privacy campaign funds
  * $20,000 raised in July 2013, original ideas listed https://www.gnome.org/news/2013/07/gnome-raises-20000-to-enhance-security-and-privacy/
  * Other ideas here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Web/Development/Security
  * Previous previous plan was for Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
  * Previous plan was to hold a hackfest
  * 2016-08-10: New plan
    * ACTION: Cosimo to hold an unconference session during GUADEC to generate a shortlist of ideas, with a view to contracting them out to a consulting firm
    * VOTE: +1 Unanimous

 * Money raised for defense against Groupon
  * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon

 * Standard code of conduct for GNOME annual events (so we don't have to reinvent the wheel each year)
  * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events

=== Ongoing but stalled ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.'''

=== Ongoing but no director assigned ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned'''

== Nice to have ==

'''This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality'''

 * Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  * Kat to draft this

 * Privacy policy for GNOME services
  * Current draft is at https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
  * Kat or Allan to write up the policy
  * Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software

 * Photography policy for GNOME conferences
  * Proposal needs to be drafted and sent to foundation list for discussion
  * Should probably be addressed at the same time as a standardised code of conduct

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed actions ==

 * GNOME Board team building
  * 2016-06-27
   * ACTION: Allan to open a wiki page with the GUADEC meeting agenda
    * https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/GUADEC/2016/Agenda

 * Annual report
  * 2016-06-06: financial report is still missing, printing requires having an hard deadline set, ideally mid-week
  * 2016-06-13: texts all gathered now, undergoing editing and layout
  * 2016-06-20, Layout in progress, got some quotes from print shop. Will need budget soon, but should be cheaper than last year (should be around $300)
  * 2016-07-05: budget approved, we're printing 100
  * 2016-07-26: document was finalized and printed, 100 copies at 816 CAD ~= 620 USD at current exchange rates
  * Annual report is printed and completed

 * GUADEC Manchester bid
  * 2016-05-09
   * The Board received a bid from Manchester for GUADEC 2017
   * There's a document to review
   * ACTION: Kat will collect and send comments once we have reviewed the document
  * 2016-05-23
   * Action item still pending for Kat to collect/send feedback
  * 2016-07-05
   * Alexandre takes over the action item from Kat
   * Action completed

 * Information needed for bank account (from the mailing list)
  * 2016-07-05, ACTION: Rosanna to call the bank today and provide all the information they requested
  * 2016-08-10, Information was provided. This is completed

 * Meta-discussion on attracting new contributors -  https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/attracting-contributors-discussion
  * 2016-01-05, Item has been deferred.
  * 2016-02-09, Allan and Jeff have a list of ideas, we could rank them by feasibility/effectiveness and take action on the first few
  * 2016-08-10, Since this is being discussed at our GUADEC meeting, we'll stop keeping track of this as an ongoing task, and replace it with more concrete action items out of that discussion

 * Licensing of artwork and visual assets
  * Engagement team doesn't always license photos on gnome.org and soon. We need guidelines for them to follow.
  * Allan and Sri to draft guidelines and discuss with the Engagement Team