Re: GNOME Foundation 501(c)3 status

On 2015-05-27 13:33, josh joshtriplett org wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 05:32:27PM +0100, Magdalen Berns wrote:
With that said, at the moment we are technically “delinquent" so we have
lost our tax exempt status for not submitting required 990 forms.[4,5]
Assuming that has been a mistake and that we do actually want to benefit from 501(c)(3) status, then I think we would be obliged to sort all that out and just stick to the original mission of the GNOME Foundation which
essentially allows us to continue to do things like produce useful free
software and educate people all about it.

I've seen this mentioned previously on this list as well, and I'm
curious how that happened.

I would also suggest that this should be the top priority issue for the
GNOME Foundation to fix.  Is the current Board already working to fix
this?

A quick search shows GNOME is still listed on the IRS website as being in good standing:

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/pub78Search.do?ein1=&names=GNOME&city=&state=All...&country=US&deductibility=all&dispatchMethod=searchCharities&submitName=Search

(actually I think you'll need to redo your own search)

and in CA I see we are listed as "active"

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

We were "delinquent" with CA a few years ago when I started as ED I believe but we straightened that out.

Rosanna should check on our current filing status but often our accountants file extensions on the 990s.

karen