Re: Question to GNOME Foundation Board candidates

Max <sakanamax gmail com> wrote:
I have 2 questions to all candidates

Thanks for the questions, Max!

1)  How many hours per week do you expect you will be able to dedicate to
working on the board on a regular basis?

I have the good fortune to work on GNOME as my full time job, and I'm
able to devote some of that time to Board work. I'm not going to give
a precise number of hours, but I can certainly free up a decent chunk
of my week, and I'm confident that I'll be able to find the time.

2)  What's your plan and view with GNOME in Asia? How do you think
about grow GNOME in Asia?( ecosystem / contribute / sponsor /
volunteer ...  )

Really good question, and there are a few different aspects to it.

First, we need to continue supporting the great work already being
done by the GNOME Asia team. Within that, we need to review how money
is currently being spent, and what the most effective way to spend our
resources is with regards to Asia.

Second, we can't advance in Asia unless we have a good understanding
of the opportunities. To do this, we need to talk to (existing and
potential) sponsors, supporters and contributors in Asia. Within this,
we need to get a grip on Asia's diversity, so that we can target
specific opportunities more effectively.

Third, the Board needs to marshal the resources we have. That might
require connecting contributors with contacts in Asia, pushing people
to have additional events, or supporting specific local or regional
activities.

A final meta point: I want us to have a board that is able to actively
pursue areas of potential growth, but that's a challenge in itself. We
need to look at the Board's workload and see if there are any possible
changes we can make, so that the Board has the time to develop its own
initiatives and agenda. Hiring a new executive director is likely to
be a key part of this, but whatever happens: I want to make sure that
we are actively reviewing the board's performance so that
opportunities don't slip by.

Allan