Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Emily Gonyer

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
Of course people should be able to be paid to work on free software.
That's great. But when one or two large companies pay the majority of
developers, it becomes hard to argue that it is still a 'community
led' project, let alone one which is independent. And that's where
GNOME is right now.

If you are afraid that one entity has too much influence, you can recruit other companies to invest as much.

The other option mentioned is the Wikimedia option. I believe they only collect donations from individuals. However, as far as I know, they never had other organizations paying people's salaries, so I don't know if that's an option for GNOME.

Stormy