Re: About possible participation in Rest the Net campaign

On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 00:33 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
Assuming gnome.org stands for www.gnome.org I'm asking you whether it
makes sense to "abuse" the use of SSL even when not really needed?

From your response, I can see that you're concerned primarily with
protecting users' personal information. From that perspective, I'm
basically satisfied as long as our Bugzilla uses SSL, and it does, so
great!

In contrast, Reset the Net is interested in countering pervasive
surveillance, which really does require HTTPS/HSTS to be used on all
pages. Their goal is not to protect users' passwords, it's to prevent
the NSA from determining whether our users are visiting
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3 or http://www.gnome.org/news/. It's an
encrypt the web campaign, and it'd be silly for GNOME to sign up if we
don't really mean it.

(It'd also be a bit silly to run a $20000 privacy campaign and then not
participate in this, but I guess there are real disadvantages to
"abusing" SSL: increased power costs, correct?)