Re: Question for candidates

Hi Emily,

On 19 May 2014 16:16, Emily Chen <emilychen522 gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to ask below questions to future board:

1. For GNOME big event, call for sponsor is really important, what is your
plan to call for more sponsors for conference like GUADEC and GNOME.Asia ?

Firstly, I think that reliable sponsors need to be contacted much
earlier, when they set the budget rather than closer to the event.
Last year, I had a chance to talk to our sponsors and advisory board
members to find out when they needed to receive the sponsorship
information to be able to allocate the conference budgets
appropriately. I encouraged the production of the sponsorship
brochures for GUADEC earlier in the cycle and asked our executive
director to contact the potential sponsors at the most convenient
times for them.

In the upcoming year, I plan to propose that the advisory board should
be recognised for their support and should be offered additional value
with an exclusive discounted sponsorship package which can be paid at
the start of the year, at the same time as paying the advisory board
fees. I am also keen to revisit the advisory board charges structure
and to assess whether we can improve that to entice smaller companies
into joining.

2. What is the top 3 goals for GNOME Foundation in the next year, in your
opinion ?

Financial stability is by far the highest priority, which I think will
involve hiring an executive director to help with fundraising. The
board should also focus more on supporting outreach efforts by our
community members and I have worked on making it easier to track where
we have done this previously.

3. How to raise and increase the fund for GNOME Foundation ?

Most of our funding comes from the advisory board fees. The Foundation
needs to seek out corporate support from more users of GNOME in
corporate environments, but also to make it easier for contributors to
donate by offering donation methods other than what is currently
available. The board has been working in this direction for the last
year, with the effort being led by Tobi.

4. How many hours you work in GNOME Board related work each week?

The least that I have worked has been 2 hours per week and the most
has been over 60 hours per week. I think that under normal operational
conditions, I would be spending up to 10 hours per week on board work,
but I expect that it will continue to be closer to 25 hours per week
for the next two months or so.

Thanks!

Emily Chen